Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fighting Against (my) Nature

It is no secret that I am not a big fan of Valentine's Day, and yes, some of it does stem from all of the typical reasons a single gal would not like this particular holiday, but the thing that moves the general indifference or even dislike to outright loathing is the fact that my school district does not give us Valentine's Day (or if it happens to fall on a weekend, the day closest to it) off from work. Why would I want Valentine's Day off, you ask? Let me give you a general scenario of what I have had to deal with 3-4 times a day every Valentine's Day that I have been a teacher.

(Imagine a room in which half the desks are covered with candy wrappers from the massive amounts of sugar these 15-year-olds have just ingested.)
Me: Raul and/or Rowena*, could you please stop hanging from the ceiling and sit down?
R and/or R: Doo-de-doo...I love love, and I love loving love...
Me: R and/or R, quit climbing the walls and sit down before I rip off your arms and beat you with them!
R and/or R: Miss, you're just jealous because you don't have anyone. If you had a man, you wouldn't be getting this attitude with us.

Oh, to be so young and yet so wise...

*Names have been changed to protect the obnoxious.

But, believe it or not, this general rant is not the point of this blog post. In an effort to combat the rise in blood pressure that is sure to accompany my efforts in teaching on Friday (and because I need blog topics), I am going to embrace the spirit of the season and each day through Saturday make a list of the things I have loved about that day.

Things I Have Loved Today:
1. surprise Valentine's presents from two of my work friends
2. students that make me laugh
3. a visit from an "awkward genius" (her words, not mine) former student
4. cheap wine and lots of laughter with Sam and Kim (aka "Muffie")
5. a lovely pre-Valentine's Day dinner with some fabulous girlfriends
6. the amazing Carmen
7. Walking Wednesday with LJ

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment