Monday, August 17, 2009

Assorted thoughts from inservice...

As I was trying to occupy my brain during a not-so-interesting inservice today, my (very weak) poetic side emerged. Clearly, I had a one-track mind this morning.

Two haikus:

My coffee is gone.
Brown joy-bringer of the morn.
My heart slightly dies.

Bladder slowly fills.
My coffee running through me.
Ten-o'-clock come soon!


And this next poem was actually part of the inservice. We were given a poem to read and then instructed to write an original poem modeled after the one that we read.

Women Who Love Coffee: an Ode to Stalk the 'Stros '09

They are quiet and foggy in the morning
until the hot, brown liquid
first touches their lips.
They smile politely
in the presence of their
bright-eyed and bushy-tailed friends
but remain monosyllabic
as if to say, "I'm gonna need a little while."
Starbucks makes
their hearts leap for joy.
When they first sip, it's glorious.
Their spirits warm as the creamy, dark elixir
seeps through their bodies,
and they are once again ready to
mess some...stuff...up.

No comments:

Post a Comment